CORELLE FROST Gold Premier Series – A Review

DSC_8693 s
Yes, one knows it when one has entered a unique phase in life when friends around you begin to settle down, get married, start families and raise kids. For some, this is when they’d realised that folks around them are no longer able to hang out as often as they once did for midnight suppers, movie marathons or pajama sleepovers. For others, this is when they’d realised that lunch dates with besties are interrupted and often prematurely truncated by “Hey, I’d gotta pick up my girl from her ballet class!” or “Oh My God, I forgot that I’m suppose to get this for my mother-in-law!” For me, I enter this phase in life on a rather interesting note. This is when I get asked by my friends for recommendations for home appliances, bakeware, cookware, tableware and etc. more often then they seek second opinion on a new watch which they’d been eyeing on, or a pair of shoes in the latest season that they fancy. But that is only because they know that I spend more time in the household department of malls and shopping centres than they would do in fashion boutiques. Yes, it is quite flattering, albeit in a rather strange way when folks turn to me for advice as such.

For tableware, my set of criteria in choosing is rather simple. They must be durable, in several ways. Physical durability is of utmost importance. Knowing that some of my friends have never prepared anything for the family, let alone cook instant noodles or even make a sunnyside up for themselves, the dishes must be able to withstand breakages, out of slippery hands and butterfingers. Some of them have never held a knife to peel a potato or core an apple. So the tableware must also be reasonably scratch proof, forgiving in some ways against the ignorance of my pals. Last but not least, they must be aesthetically durable, appealing to the eye with a withstanding look which one doesn’t get tired of easily, as these ware are expected to be in use and last over a long period of time.

Versatility comes as a bonus, where these tableware are able to withstand wear and tear from daily use, and yet be presentable to entertain family gatherings and dinner parties. This seems to be of priority to many of my friends who just started their own families and bought their first house, with hardly any spare cash for multiple sets of culinary ware for different dedicated uses.

Corelle Frost Set- 2
Thus, when it comes to giving recommendations, one name most certainly comes to mind. My family have been using Corelle tableware for some years now. Our “Morning Blue” set came as a gift from my aunt when we got our current place back in 1998. So yes, it has been with us for a good 15 years and still serves us very well, be it regular family dinners or more elaborated gatherings over festivities. My favorite piece of the set is incidentally the largest of them all, the 32 cm serving platter which is very good for plating steamed whole fish, or chicken for one of our family favorites, Hainanese Chicken Rice. Size does matter! Despite its rather western outlook with classic floral motifs, it appears very elegant and apt for our mostly Asian meals at home, as with the Nyonya Chap Chye, Ikan Gerang Asam and 淮山 南北杏 排骨汤 in the photos.
Corelle Frost Set-1
Since we use it so much at home, why doesn’t it appear frequently in my food photos? Well, truth be told, the dainty floral motifs on the “Morning Blue Essential Series” has its restrictions in food photography, depending on the theme and type of cuisine being presented. But Corelle’s recently launched Frost Gold Premier Series is a totally different creature. Its embossed design takes the form of branch-like venation in a silvery silhouette, exuding a somewhat quiet elegance, noticeable but yet non-obtrusive. Its modern chic outlook perpetuates versatility which allows it to blend well into most modern home decor. I’m sure it would blend in well too in my food photos to come. But these are not ordinary transferware, as the designs are specially embossed, becoming part of the glass itself and thus scratch resistant, remaining intact and looking beautiful as if they were bought just the day before, even after years of usage.
DSC_8671 s
Made in USA with the technology that uses Vitrelle, a tempered glass product consisting of two types of glass laminated into three layers, Corelle tableware from the Frost Gold Premier Series promises all the unique qualities which all preceding sets have been imbued with. The special thermal bonding technique employed makes all Corelle tableware über strong. It is also resistant to chemicals, staining and chipping allowing the entire set to look pristine despite regular and prolonged usage. I found the stain-resistance property rather useful as it meant that the dish washing process after each meal would be a breeze, almost without requiring any effort. Its high durability and chip-resistant property is perfect for the clumsy, like me! I have the “Morning Blue Essential Series” to vouch for that after a good 15 years of use (and abuse), and I’m confident that the Corelle Frost Gold Premier Series would be able to perform just as well, if not better!
DSC_7767 s
I like its sleek design, being ultra thin, another important attribute of the Vitrelle tempered glass technology. This allows the plates and bowls to be stacked and kept away without taking up too much cabinet space, amidst all the pots and pans, and baking molds and trays which one would have collected and accumulated over the years. For me, cabinet space is really precious “real estate” in the kitchen, and I’m sure many of you would agree. The tableware in the Corelle Frost Gold Premier Series, like all other Corelle tableware does not have a foot rim on the underside, thus allowing the dishes and bowls to be stacked neatly without towering and taking up too much space. One little inconvenience which comes with this design, is that one has to be careful when handling bowls with hot soup or stews in them. The base, without the foot rim as act as finger support, may become hot to touch rather quickly after the liquids are poured in. At home, we simply get around this little “problem” by placing the bowl on another plate and serve both together onto the dining table. Otherwise, this design really has more pros than cons, as it really allows the plates to be kept compact during storage. Unlike ceramic ware which are very strong and thus could be stacked rather high, traditional glass ware cannot be stored likewise as the glass plates may crack due to the stacking pressure. But Corelle’s Vitrelle tempered glass technology takes care of this rather well. Moreover, ceramic ware of the same size is much much heavier compared to Corelle  tableware, that weighs virtually next to nothing.
DSC_8653 s
I think a lot of people out there are like me, initially skeptical of the claim of Corelle ware being crack-resistant. Well, being crack-resistant does not equate to be “unbreakable”. No, I’m not about to put my precious new Corelle “Frost Gold Premier Series” to the test by dropping it off a 20-storey building. Neither am I gonna risk those from the Corelle “Morning Blue Essential Series”. They don’t deserve to be treated that way after 15 years of impeccable service. But I did find some videos over Youtube on such tests being carried out on Corelle tableware. I’m not sure about you, but I am pretty much convinced. You can find the videos here, here and here… The Titanic was dubbed as being “unsinkable” and look what happened to it. So I think Corelle ware did better than the Titanic! In any case, World Kitchen (Asia Pacific), the local distributor for Corelle promises to replace any Corelle Vitrelle dinnerware that should crack, break, chip or permanently stain within one year of normal household use from the date of purchase. If that’s not a sign of assurance, I do not know what is. 🙂

UPDATE: I was informed by Jane through the comments below that in order to facilitate the exchange process, one has to perform the exchange for defective ware at the same place where the Corelle Dinnerware were purchased with the original receipt as proof of purchase. And as Joyee mentioned, do give the store a ring to check for stock availability before making your way down. Thank you ladies for your input!

DSC_8662 s
The Corelle Frost Gold Premier Series comes in a 20-piece dining set. It includes 1 x 32 cm serving platter, 1 x 1.4 litre square bowl, 4 x dinner plates, 4 x bread and butter plates, 4 x soup bowls, 4 x soup plates and 2 x 10 oz square bowls. So this is really quite ideal for a family of four. The tableware are versatile in their usage of course. For example, I doubled up the bread and butter plates as dessert plates to serve cakes and traditional kuihs, and use the soup plates as serving dishes for stir-fry vegetables and sweet & sour pork, while the small square bowls are excellent for sambal belachan or satay gravy.

For folks like me in Singapore, Corelle’s latest Frost Gold Premier Series is available in the household department of all major stores which are listed here.  They are also available at selected  NTUC Xtra and NTUC Finest outlets so do check them out on your next grocery shopping trip. Open stock may also be available in selected stores. Excellent way of purchasing extra tableware and customise to your own dining and culinary needs. I’m very sure you would enjoy using them as I do.

For more information, check out their website at worldkitchenasia.com.
DSC_8716 s
Thank you World Kitchen (Asia Pacific) for the opportunity to review this excellent set of Corelle Frost Gold Premier Series through Ogilvy & Mather (Singapore).

For recipes of the dishes presented in the photos, please refer to the following:

Ikan Gerang Asam (Peranakan Spicy and Sour Fish)

Nyonya Chap Chye (Peranakan Cabbage Stir-fry)

Hainanese Chicken Rice

淮山南北杏排骨汤 (to be featured)

Advertisements

1. I’m a fan of Corelle and I have Pure White and Winterfrost in my stash of plates.
    I’d love to add this range to my collection and I have a weakness for white tableware, hehehe.

January 10, 2013 at 12:05 am

Yeah, I think its a good investment to have a set of good quality white dinnerware. They are very versatile in terms of food presentation.

January 10, 2013 at 7:54 am

• Hi Allen
        Do you or any other traveling foodies have any idea if the CORELLE FROST Gold Premier Series is available in the US? My husband and I have been looking on-line and all we seem to find is the World Kitchens site. Personally, I feel very uncomfortable leaving my passport number to this kind of site and it has deterred us from purchasing. Any other ideas?
        S & J @ sgkl@att.net

November 3, 2013 at 5:55 am

2. Shenny

I have a set of precious Corelle park in my cupboard,6 ft height cupboard. I worry that kakak or my little prince or princess accidentally break it. When prince and princess bigger, I will relocate it to normal height cupboard…heheee

January 10, 2013 at 12:25 am

haha they are quite crack resistant as you can see in the videos from youtube which I’d included in the post. But yes, I think for us the psychological barrier is quite difficulty to overcome. But I’m not asking you to try break one to overcome it! LOL

January 10, 2013 at 7:50 am

3. I like white tableware but I don’t usually buy them because they get stained easily but I’d really love to add this Corella’s latest Frost Gold Premier Series to my collection 🙂

January 10, 2013 at 12:40 am

Yeah, you should consider this, or the Winter Frost set which Wendy is using. Its really stain-resistant. So really very easy to wash 🙂

January 10, 2013 at 7:48 am

4. After acquiring an incomplete set of Corelle (with that plum looking motif) from my brother when he moved to Canada, I tried to replace those missing ones and added on another plain white square range to the collection.

I had the misconception that crack resistant as unbreakable till my ex maid cracked one. Unbelievably she tried to super glued it to avoid being “spotted” and when I tried replacing that big bowl, I realised that one is really ex. ouch!

Pairing the squares with the rounds didn’t seem so off balance anymore.

I hope they have the range in plain rounds and if they do, a promotion will be helpful to add to my collection. LOLz.

January 10, 2013 at 7:55 am

So sorry to hear that your bowl cracked. Must have suffered quite a heavy blow or impact for that to happen. Yes I find the mixture of squares and rounds rather peculiar initially. But it took a while and we’d gotten used to it. In fact, now we prefer squarish serving plates for the dishes as they can be placed adjacent to each other without leaving much gaps in between. Really good for a very congested dining table during CNY gatherings. An economy of space really!

Tangs do run sales for Corelle open stock ware. The last I’d saw was during their pre-christmas sale when open stock ware were going at a 30% discount, on top of the 6% rebate which Tangs Lifestyle Card members enjoy. That’s quite an attractive offer. Do keep a look out for future sales to come!

January 10, 2013 at 8:11 am

5. Corelle , a reliable brand for their durable wares! My mum favorite brand! I love this frost gold series , clean look on the design make the wares uniquely stands out on its own! Am going to get a set for this coming Chinese New Year celebration:-D

January 10, 2013 at 8:38 am

Hi there! yes, Corelle is indeed very durable to become a household brand name! This Corelle Frost Gold Premier Series is rather chic-looking. Definitely gonna wow your guests over CNY celebrations! 🙂

January 10, 2013 at 8:59 am

6. wow, nice! i like!!! always see them in Isetan and Parkson (Malaysia) but then too expensive le!! Wish one day I can have a set of them… Alan, do you know roughly how much for this set in SG?

January 10, 2013 at 9:02 am

Hi Jing Nee, the price is a bit high yes, but don’t forget that they are meant to last for a loooooong time… beats having to replace your dining sets every few years! And the good thing about this set is I think the design is very withstanding. 🙂

It was on offer at SGD 199 until a couple of days ago. Now the prices have gone back to SGD 320. But be sure to look out for further sales to come for more attractive prices!

January 10, 2013 at 9:08 am

7. Hot Sotong

I bought a set (plum motive) for my mom 8 yrs ago and it still serving my family well. : ) Made the right choice as we no longer hate to do washing due to the light material. I can see mom is quite happy with this product till today.
    Well, guess must get another set soon for my in law. Alan, pls help me to keep an eye and inform me when got sales in Sg. Miss using Corelle so much…

January 10, 2013 at 9:24 am

Great! I will let you know next time I see a Corelle sale! 🙂

January 10, 2013 at 7:45 pm

8. Jane

Just to add that for the warranty, you have to keep the receipt and exchange it at the same place you purchase it. You cannot just walk into any place selling Corelle to change neither would the distributor entertain you. I have tried it myself and my chipped bowl remains chipped as no exchange can be done.

January 10, 2013 at 9:29 am

ah, Thanks for the advice Jane! Very helpful to all those who are reading as well!

January 10, 2013 at 7:46 pm

9. Joyee

Thank you for your Corelle post, you just reminded me that I have a chipped plate to exchange. But I didn’t know how to go about it.
    After reading ur post, I called up World kitchen asia, but nobody answered my call. Then i called BHG where I bought my lovely Corelle.
    I was told that exchange can be done where I purchased them. Thankfully I kept my receipt & its still within 1 yr of purchase 🙂
    So guys, do keep ur receipt for ur Corelle purchases. Otherwise I wish World kitchen asia to hv a online registration for warranty, cos most ppl will not keep receipts for 1 yr unless they are for electronic appliances….

January 10, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Thanks for the advice as well Joyee. I’m glad that BHG is able to do the exchange for you. Keep us updated when you have received your new plate. Wanna know how “easy” or “difficult” the exchange process would be. 🙂

January 10, 2013 at 7:47 pm

10. Alan, I have a set of Corelle dishes that are older then my 10yr old! (so don’t ask me the name of the set, lol!). Got them when I was in States and still going strong. Indeed super durable and the notion from freezer to microwave to dishwasher was true true true. Love them still…my decade old dishes lol!

January 10, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Great to know that, Bee bee! So showcase your plates in your bakes and makes next time! Can’t wait to see them! 🙂

January 10, 2013 at 10:54 pm

11. Terrific write-up! I’m not super crazy about Corelle, my mom has a set of vintage corelle stored away waiting to present to me as wedding gifts.. lol.

January 10, 2013 at 8:07 pm

hahaha time to dish them out (pun intended!), Shannon! Sets the old lady’s mind at ease to know that you, and her vintage Corelle plates are both in good hands! 🙂

January 10, 2013 at 10:53 pm

12. Jesley

Thanks for sharing, Alan. Its now my next target list on the next Metro sales. I had been searching around for something simple and elegant like the ‘Corelle Frost Gold Premier Series’ you recommmended. Didn’t realised there it this series until I saw your post. I had my first Corelle plates set in 1996 (a wedding gift from a friend) and those are still nice and new after so many years . Simply couldn’t wait to get my hands on the complete set soon.

January 10, 2013 at 8:13 pm

wow! your set is even older than mine, Jesley! Quite a marvel that they still look as new as ever, isn’t it? Yes do check out this new Corelle Frost Gold Premier Series. It was love at first sight for me. Hope it would be for you too!

January 10, 2013 at 10:51 pm

13. Call me old school but somehow i love vintage corelle like those olive green ones with the white flowers on the side, served my mother really well. I have yet to invest in a set but after reading your post im now considering just splurging on these lovelies. Well reviewed, alan.

January 10, 2013 at 8:36 pm

yeah, I was browsing through the online catalogue of some discontinued Corelle ware and I must agree with that some of the designs are really withstanding. Just with Corelle would bring them back again. I’m sure they would be as popular as they once did!

January 10, 2013 at 10:50 pm

14. dor

thanks for sharing this corelle frost gold premier series, might consider getting it. it’s really nice & all corelle tableware are so easy to wash. ^_^

January 10, 2013 at 9:09 pm

oh yes, they are really easy! I’d never realised until I’d put it to the test. Yes, that’s because I’m usually not the one doing dishes at home! Well, now that I know, perhaps I’d do the dishes more often… just perhaps! LOL

January 10, 2013 at 10:48 pm

15. Sally Amudhan

Hi Alan,
    I grow up with the “Morning Blue Essential Series” as my mum swears only by corelle. We use this series for our daily meals. My mum is a collector of corelle in all sizes of pots, plates n etc. It is still looking good after so many years of service. With the influence, now I have my own as well after married. Hee I just love the light weight, durable and elegant. Love the pots too . You can cook over stove, pop into oven and then serve on dining table. Simply can’t get tired of Corelle. 😉

January 10, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Thanks for the affirmation Sally! It’s good to know another fellow Corelle fan! So interesting to see how simple things like tableware can affect our lives so much 🙂

January 10, 2013 at 10:47 pm

16. Angie

I like white tableware! I used to hv my breakfast cereal in the morning blue bowls long long ago! Time to get new ones for my new place!

January 10, 2013 at 10:36 pm

oh wow, you have the morning blue series as well? The design is quite endearing isn’t it? 🙂

January 10, 2013 at 10:45 pm

17. I always believe in presentation.Looks counts a lot to me! haha! Always love the way u present ur works.And also ur photography skills? Ichiban! Btw,i love this white set of wares!! omg!!

January 10, 2013 at 11:34 pm

18. Anna Tan

I like the way you mixed both round and square at the table, and got away with it looking tasteful, modern, yet traditional and eclectic. I definitely want to lay a table of these lovely Corelle ware … As long as they promise not to discontinue their designs … There us nothing more frustrating than to discover that the pieces that you’re trying to replace is no longer in production.

Gorgeously inspiring spread you’ve got there, Alan … And you’re making hungry .. As usual !

January 10, 2013 at 11:41 pm

19. I have a set a white tableware, a Christmas gift from my girfriends. I don’t even know what’s the brand but it serves me well whenever I invite guests over for dinner. I also have another set of handmade brown ceramic tableware which is older than my son (he is 25 years old this year). I would love to have a set of these beautiful Corelle ware but where got place to store them anymore? LOL! Alan, awesome write-up as always. Next time got sale, maybe can get a set to standby as a gift for the kids who next getting married:D

January 11, 2013 at 9:27 am

20. My mom uses Corelle too! I was initially skeptical because they are so thin! And I don’t really like flower patterns on plates. The white series is just beautiful!

January 11, 2013 at 3:11 pm

21. i dont own any of the corelle pieces but i think my mum has 2 pieces ..if i remember correctly..after reading your post, i’m also so tempted to get a set but i know it’s very expensive! even if they have discounts, i don think the discounts will be great, rite?

January 11, 2013 at 9:28 pm

22. Meng Choo

Nice write-up!
    It’s been past 6 years since moving into our marital nest. It was no easy feat dumping heaps of cash into the renovation and the furnishings for the house. With little to spare, hubby and I decided to go with a plain white ikea set. One that was simple and fitted our kitchen colour theme.
    The thought of having a Corelle set hung on my mind. Each time we step into the departmental store and stared hard at the sets, we couldn’t find one that fit our kitchen theme of green & white. Not only that, the set had to be suitable for a Chinese family such as plates for soup, dishes, sauces and rice.
    This set looks about right for us with its simple yet intricate design.
    Thank you for the recommendation.
    We will definitely take this into serious consideration to change our entire crockery set.

January 11, 2013 at 10:41 pm

23. 3fang

Hi Alan,

Love the wares and feel like getting it despite not cooking much.

Loves the way the dishes are presented & how well the wares compliment it.

Jia you, get more sponsors to keep your flaming love for cooking & baking.

January 12, 2013 at 12:28 am

24. Woah this set is really nice! I don’t usually like using Corelle to take pictures because of the floral designs imprinted too! Gratz bro, you make me feel like getting the set! Heehee

January 12, 2013 at 12:11 pm

25. Hoola

To add onto the shopping list for next Robinson sale ~ a set of Corelle tableware!

January 12, 2013 at 8:39 pm

26. Jelyn

Hi Hi,

I am looking for a discontinued series of corelle cultery to add on to my exisiting collections bought 7 years ago.

Possible to help?