For Alice @ Pavé Chocolates and Confections

Pavé

Was it love at first sight? I wouldn’t dare say so but one thing we can say for sure is, the feelings were intense!

Weekend dinners around Katong is a very convenient option for us. With me working near Parkway Parade over weekends, and J staying nearby along Haig Road, we’d dined here quite a lot over the last few years, revisiting familiar and favorite joints over and over again. And this area had seen some interesting changes and inclusions over the last year or so. First was the relocation and expansion of Awfully Chocolate, and then new dining places and concepts sprung up. We saw a new Thai restaurant, a new ramen joint, a gelato shop named Coccogelo that does very wicked renditions of flavours like pistachio and “sticky rice”, and a restaurant that does laksa steamboat! Patisseries also score well in this area, with a rather high density of shops like Obolo, Gobi, Temptations, The French Bakery all within walking distance of each other. And then there’s the new kid of the block, Pavé Chocolates and Confections, the latest patisserie cum chocolatier that opened here barely a year back. Oddly, we’d walked past this place several times on our way to and from our usual makan joints but somehow never really felt compiled to step in. Usually its because we were rushing to a reservation somewhere or just too full after dinner. About 2 months’ back we finally did but it was kinda late that day and the selections from the pastry section was very limited and didn’t really appeal to us then. But I made a mental note to check this place out again when we can and last weekend we finally did.

We opted for a takeaway instead of dining in since I didn’t have my camera with me that day and it would be such a waste to not document something from this place. We deliberated over the pastry section, listening intently to the descriptions provided by the lovely staff and at the same time staring hard at each delectable piece of work, hoping for some divine intervention, a sign from the pastry gods to bestow us with any whizz of inspiration. It was at that precise moment when I saw her, in an alluring rouge number, gleaming at us in an almost seductive manner.

I bent down and whispered to her softly if she was interested…ahem. Without a word, she merely smiled back flirtatiously and the deal was sealed.

She followed us back and I’m so glad she did…

Pavé

Le composition

A dark and dense chocolate cake base, not unlike a cocoa génoise, and if my nose and tastebuds served me well, infused with a hint of alcohol (kirsch?). deliciously moist.

A layer of dark milk chocolate mousse, very rich and understandably bitter, which I liked.

A stratum of vanilla “crème brûlée” interlaced the two layers of chocolate mousse. Owning to the more intense flavours drawn from the chocolate mousse, I can’t help but feel that the vanilla cream is severely watered down. And I couldn’t make out what’s so “brûlée-like” about it. Were we supposed to have experienced the crackling crunch from caramelised shards of crystalline sugar amidst the soft smooth textures? Or was it a more subtle tinge of bitterness from burnt sugar that was aimed at echoeing the bitterness from the chocolate mousse? Or was it supposed to be creamy and custardy? Whatever the case, we don’t answers to any of those questions. What this layer did do h0wever, albeit in a rather passive manner, was to attempt to bring down the rich overtones from the chocolate mousse which would probably have been overpowering otherwise. Alas we’d expected more from this. After all, a vanilla “crème brûlée” is not something one would regularly find within another cake. Perhaps this part needs some sorting out and reworking.

Another (thinner) layer of chocolate mousse over the vanilla “crème brûlée” before the whole entremet was sliced and then each oblong individually  covered with a framboise gelée glaze, using raspberries of the Willamette variety for their “sweet and not-so-overpowering sour flavor“. Raspberries have been a fruit of choice for me, using it whenever I can. I love the tarty vinegary finish they provide when employed, lending an additional dimension of flavor to whomever they accompany. The pas de deux of raspberry and chocolate in dessert-making is magical, and one can hardly find any valid means to nitpick.

And I love love love the embellishment of décor chocolat on all the facades with pearlescent silvered dragées on top. Desserts we’d seen in Singapore are usually dressed with tempered chocolate décor in an utmost boring ceremonious manner. So this plethoric use of random chocolatey mish-mesh is quite a refreshing change. And somewhat avant garde duncha think?

Pavé

More hits than misses in our humble opinion, this cake is a rather gourmandising experience. It hints of an all-time favorite, foret noire which shares an almost similar list of ingredients, but “For Alice” strives to make a difference with her unique and somewhat liberal use of dark chocolate mousse and dramatic appeal. This is a dessert for dark chocolate lovers for sure, while the interplay of flavours, especially bitterness and soury tang is definitely for anyone who seeks to be  astounded.

Pavé

Pavé

Pavé

Pâtisseries seem to be springing up all over Singapore like mushrooms after a rain, with new names popping up every so often nowadays. This is all very positive news for dessert aficionados. While striving to work out one’s niche and public impression amongst the local crowd, one has to stay very rooted to the fundamentals of dessert making. Pavé ‘s “For Alice” seems to be a wonderful reconciliation of both.

Definitely looking forward to sample Pavé’s other creations.

I wonder who would follow me home next time…

Pavé Chocolates and Confections

93 East Coast Road,
Singapore 428792

Monday: Closed
All other days: 12.30pm to 10.30pm
63420677

Advertisements

1. Looks yummy 😉

April 28, 2011 at 6:24 am

it is quite yummy, yes!

April 28, 2011 at 11:24 pm

2. Alan, What on earth is this??? The presentation took my breath away! I want to make a date with you. The next time I am in Singapore, let’s go and visit Pavé Chocolates and Confections together and let me buy you tea and at the same time, I can pick your brain on photography. I am going to forward this link to my girlfriend in Singapore right now. She is going to love this place. I don’t think she knows this place because if she does, I would not have missed it. The last trip, I had dinner at “The Cut” in Sands Marina and the dessert served there were awesome and the presentation were stunning like what you showed here. Unfortunately, the place was too dark and I only had my Canon G12 with me. The pictures I took did not come out nice so I cannot show if off hehe…

April 28, 2011 at 8:33 am

hahaha calm down veronica! I didn’t take photos in situ, but rather got the cake back home, within the comforts of my unearthly slums and snap away brainless! But sure, let’s visit this place and together with that, all the other good makan places along that stretch. Katong is a foodie’s paradise. 🙂

April 28, 2011 at 11:29 pm

3. looks damn sexy !! i am gonna try this place out soon, my other half stays in the area anyways.

April 28, 2011 at 9:48 am

hi jacob! gimme a tinker when you’d tried out the place and let me know what you think about it!

April 28, 2011 at 11:30 pm

4. This cake is so beautifully done up! I’m going to bookmark this place in my to try list!

April 28, 2011 at 11:46 am

Hi Wendy! She’s a beauty indeed. let me know if you like the place and the goodies there. 🙂

April 28, 2011 at 11:31 pm

5. I like the fact that this entremet is not perfectly symmetrical and the decor too uptight. We should make a dessert date at this place when I’m back in Singapore.

April 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Still in HK Pickyin? So envious!!! I can sooooooo imagine all the shopping!!! I’m definitely gonna visit Shanghai St. as you and Chef Michaud had recommended. Been to HK umpteen times and I’d actually not been there. What am I thinking!?!?!?

April 28, 2011 at 11:32 pm

• Yes still here. Shanghai St is good but now I’m looking for flea market stuff. You know, Chinese crockery, bowls, teacups… any ideas?

April 28, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Hmm…. I did some search over the internet and it seems like Shanghai Street is your best bet at getting Chinese cooking accoutrements. I did remember chancing upon some shops in the Sheung Wan/mid-levels area that sell chinese crockery. A good display of those deemed as antiques (read: expensive!!!) are found along the Hollywood Road-Upper Lascar Row stretch. I love “window-shopping” around that area, in full knowing that I’d probably not buy anything there, but still worth the walk!

April 29, 2011 at 12:11 pm

6. now that you are done on this can i hope that you will treat me and cathy a pc each soon?

April 28, 2011 at 4:16 pm

haha sure!

April 28, 2011 at 11:33 pm

7. this really looks so well presented! alan, you’re really surrounded by all good food everyday, if i were you, probably i need to find another way back home so that i dont get to see these everyday!lol! gosh, i’m sure you’re going to pick up one back home every now and then!

April 30, 2011 at 10:00 pm

hahaha good point Lena! But but but, these babies are all so delectable! it’ll be a cardinal sin not to bring them home!

May 1, 2011 at 9:07 pm

8. Pingback: Pavé II (SG) « so.moo.food

9. Pingback: Weekend Delights @ Pavé Chocolates and Confections « travellingfoodies

10. Charlie

Definitely LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!

Beautiful!

Thank you for showing the inside of the cake. This gives me a chance to get ideas in my head for trying to recapture it and make it myself.

Words and descriptions are great, but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

February 29, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Glad to be of help, Charlie. 🙂 Its a really good cake, both in looks and taste. Do let me know when you’d made it!

March 1, 2012 at 11:24 pm