When we were young…Lapis Sagu

_DSC7040 s
When we were young, my family lived in a “two-room” rented flat at Jalan Tentaram just off the PIE along Jalan Toa Payoh.  It was a very small apartment, and ironic it might sound, there was only one bedroom and that meant my sister and I had to sleep on a very thin foam mattress on the living room floor every night. My parents were blue-collared workers and despite being poor, we were happy. My mother doted on us and although she wasn’t earning much, she regularly bought toys for us, even if it meant cutting back on her own expenses. One thing I particularly looked forward to when we were young, was to visit Toa Payoh Central to borrow books at the community library and a dinner out, usually at the now defunct hawker centre located in between the cinema and HDB office, where I would invariably request for the same thing from the same stall on every visit, char kway teow. On our way back home, we would stop by a confectionery for some bread for supper later into the night or breakfast next morning. As an occasional treat, my mother would indulge in kuih muih, as she had a weakness for anything made with “santan” and pandan. Lapis sagu was clearly one of her favorites.

_DSC7077 s

Like many bloggers who’d shared similar experiences, my mother had the habit of peeling off the lapis sagu layer after layer, not for herself, but for my sister and I. That was almost the only means of ensuring fair share between the both of us, preventing me from gobbling everything up in an utmost boisterous manner. She would have for herself the occasional layer, but most of the time watching us eat, or play with our food rather, challenging each other to stretch these elastic strips to their limits. A mindless and if I might say, childish game, which in the years to come helped to conjure the most powerful of all childhood memories. And it is these memories that fueled us and kept us going, as we reiterated and reminisced in laughter and tears, now that my mother is no longer with us.
_DSC6992 s
Patricia Lee’s recipe called for a concoction of 4 different types of flours, an entourage that took a few days to get together.

When I read Shirley’s blog entry on the lapis sagu she learnt at a class almost three months back, I was captivated by the simple elegance her kueh lapis exuded in alternating shades of emerald, ruby and ivory. It reminded a lot of the ones from Bengawan Solo, characterised by those tender and soft textures, very markedly different from those in psychedelic colours we had when we were young. I had the recipe she recommended bookmarked but “shelved”, like many others in my harddrive. Recently, after a month of deliberation as we scramble to pick up our lives again in my mother’s absence, I’d decidedly”restarted” the baking and cooking hobby again, and this time round, to make my mother’s favorite lapis sagu.
_DSC7000 s
Preparing the syrup with pandan leaves from plants in our little corridor “nursery”. Not looking very good after almost a whole month of neglect, but these would have to do for now.

Recipe from Patricia Lee’s 娘惹风味糕点, reproduced from Shirley’s blog entry

Ingredients ( for a 9 x 9 ” square tin)*

480g         Tapioca flour
150g         Sago flour
35g           Mung Bean flour
50g           Rice flour
720ml       Thick coconut milk*
650g         Sugar
1litre         Water
3-4            Pandan Leaves, knotted*
Pinch        Salt
Food colouring (red and green)*
_DSC7007 s
A very thick batter formed from coconut milk-cream mixture with the dry ingredients, very viscous and definitely requiring some elbow grease to get everything amalgamated. Worry not and forge on as the batter would thin significantly when the syrup is incorporated.

Method
1. Boil sugar with pandan leaves in 1 liter of water until sugar melts. Strain the syrup and dilute with water to make to 1.5 liters
2. Mix all the flour and salt together. Pour coconut milk a little at a time and mix till smooth. Set aside.
3. Pour the syrup from (1) into the flour mixture. Stir constantly till well blended.
4. Divide mixture into 3 portions. Leave one portion uncoloured. Mix each of the other 2 portions with red and green colouring.
5. Grease a 9″ square baking tin with a little oil. Place the in in a steamer and steam until hot. Pour in the uncoloured mixture (90g) * and steam for about 6-8 mins.  Repeat another layer with the uncoloured mixture.
6. Repeat step (5) with other coloured batter until all batter is used up. Top layer must be red. Leave the cake to cool at room temeprature for 7-8 hours before cutting.

* see  “Modifications and Reflections” below
_DSC7058 s
Upon cooling, the sides of the lapis sagu peel off from the tin very easily, provided it was well-greased to start with. I’d used canola oil spray.

Reflections and Modifications

1. Despite how much we enjoy lapis sagu, a 9″ square tin was definitely gonna be an overkill. Instead, I’d used a 7″ square tin, the smallest I have. At the same time, the recipe was scaled down by 0.6, e.g. 600g of water instead of 1 litre.

2. I’d used a mixture of fresh coconut milk (Santan Kelapa Asli) and Kara coconut cream (Santan Kelapa Murni) for the “thick coconut milk” component. A good blend that worked for me in both aroma and texture.

3. Instead of knotting whole blades of pandan leaves, they were snipped up into 2 cm wide pieces to hasten the “perfuming” process for the syrup

4. I’d used traditional red food colouring, often used for colouring egg shells and Koepoe-Koepoe Pandan Paste for the green.

5. Instead of measuring out 90g of batter everytime, a ladle was used to ensure even thickness of each layer. Just be sure to rinse the ladle everytime you change to a batter of a different colour.

6. Ensure that the steaming rack/steamer is levelled horizontally after pouring in the first batter. Last thing you want is a colourful leaning block of lapis.

7. It comes in handy to have a kettle of very hot/recently boiled water on standby to refill the steamer/wok as it steams away for more than 2 hours. That helps to keep the temperature fairly consistent. The set up was maintained at medium high heat after the water was brought to a strong boil at high heat. Be very careful when lifting the wok lid for each refill, taking care not to allow condensation on the insides of the lid to drip onto the kueh.

8. Each layer was steamed for 7 min and I’d managed 18 layers with the prepared batter. So including time for preparing in the syrup and mixing the batter, be sure to give yourself at least 3 hours for the whole process and another 6-8 hours for the kueh to cool down sufficiently.

9. Take heed to stir the batter each time before adding a ladleful for steaming. The powder mixture, essentially a suspension, would settle at the bottom between the 7-min intervals and would require some whisking to get it homogenised again. Use the back of the ladle to ease any bubbles that formed from the whisking.

10. Grease the knife before cutting. Even with that I still need to work on my knife skills.
_DSC7043 s
The final product turned out rather well, very close to the textures I’d expect from IMHO, a good lapis sagu. So this recipe is definitely a keeper and kudos to Shirley for introducing it on her blog, in place of Valerie Kong’s “two-flour-only” recipe, which shall remain a “commercial secret” for now. Elated with the results I might be, I doubt I’ll be making it any time soon, given how time consuming it is. But whenever I need a therapy session in the kitchen, I now know I have one more recipe to look into.

I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #12: Traditional Kueh (October 2011)

1. this is BEAUTIFUL! Thanks so much for sharing!

October 29, 2011 at 4:09 am

Hi there! Thanks for dropping by and thanks for your kind words!

October 29, 2011 at 11:08 pm

2. I’m sorry for your loss Alan, but I’m glad that you were able to honor your mom’s memory by making the kuih that most reminded you of her and your childhood :)

this recipe sure looks complicated with its melange of flours, but the results look fantastic – just like those I get from bengawan solo when I need to satisfy my craving.

October 29, 2011 at 8:54 am

Its not complicated actually. Just need to make sure the ingredient list is well assembled before getting your hands dirty. Then again, kuih muih recipes are known for their versatility in terms of technique and ingredients, owing to the creativity and ingenuinity of the nonya and malay housewives who spent many hours in their kitchen perfecting their trade through repeated attempts of experimentation and improvisation. The textures are quite similar to the ones from bengawan solo actually. That makes the tedious process all worthwhile.

October 29, 2011 at 11:11 pm

3. very beautiful~~ but i unable to get the 2 flours leh so never make le~~

October 29, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Shirley used a recipe that needs only tapioca and rice flour. Maybe you can experiment with it? :)

October 29, 2011 at 11:14 pm

4. Alan, this is a very touching post. What a wonderful way to remember your mum and your childhood. My mum did exactly the same thing like your mum. When she bought kuih lapis for me when I was a little girl. She too will peel layer by layer to feed me. The thin mattress you and your sister slept on brings back memory of difficult time mum and I went thought at some point of our life. We had to share a room with others because we could not even afford to rent a room by ourselves but you are right, poor is okay, what is important is we were happy. Once again, you made a perfect kuih lapis. Look how uniform each layer is. I have not made a simple kuih look good so I don’t I dare to attempt this one lah.

October 29, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Veronica my dear friend, thanks for your kind words. Meant a lot to me. The lapis is far from perfect; I messed up some layers by pouring the red directly after green without “cushioning” 2 layers of white in between. Thank goodness it came out quite well. :)

October 29, 2011 at 11:16 pm

5. Awesome job Alan! my mum also bought this for me when I was young. I love to count the colourful layers, peeled them off in layers & pop into mouth ;)

October 29, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Cathy, my mum did that too.Much o f an oxymoron it might sound, I think we both with the best mothers in the world. :)

October 29, 2011 at 11:17 pm

6. Alan, glad you got to try a different recipe. I have always wondered about the difference in texture with the different types of flour. Now, I will have to try it :) Thanks for the mention! P.S. : The Tao Payoh Central hawker center, Library and Cinema were my childhood haunts too.

October 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Shirley, you are most certainly welcome :) And thanks once again for putting up that recipe. Textures are quite close to bengawan solo’s actually. The top layer hardened slightly the next day but soon became soft and springy again after a quick steam. I would use all fresh coconut milk next time and skip the cream probably, to make it even softer. :)

Ah, you grew up visiting Toa Payoh too. Tis just too bad the food centre is no longer there. Just love the char kway teow…. LOL

October 29, 2011 at 11:20 pm

7. sorry to hear about the loss of your dear mum, i was however moved by the story here. YOu did 18 layers for the kuih?? phew!! that’s really work and time here, no wonder you mentioned total abt 3 hrs to mak ethis kuih but i’m very sure every bit of that time was worth spending it..this is such a beautiful layered kuih. Hey, dont have to say sorry for being absent on my blog..you silly! and it’s definately nice of you remembering me though..! have a lovely evening!

October 30, 2011 at 9:41 pm

yeah 18 layers if I counted correctly. LOL
      Its more time consuming than hard work really. Cos it gets quite mundane after the first few layers. Just need to keep tabs of the colors and layers. :)

November 3, 2011 at 2:26 am

8. Kate

Alan, A great mom you have! I’m sure during the 3 hours spent on making her favourite kueh would have brought back fond memories of her. If I’m in your shoes, I probably would have broken down emotional at certain point.

Would like to know if you’d waited for the sugar solution to be fully cooled down before you pour into the flour mixture?

November 1, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Hi Kate! Thanks for dropping by! Yeah, definitely still lots of tears lately cos I miss her so badly. But life goes on and I think she would want us to walk out of it and be back to normal again. Tough but we’ve gotta try, somehow…

yes, wait for the sugar solution to cool down sufficiently before mixing it into the coconut milk-flour batter. The intention is not to cook the flour with the syrup.

Hope this helps. If you do make it, let me know how yours turn out! :)

November 3, 2011 at 2:33 am

9. Hi Alan

Ur Kow Teng Kueh above reminds of my late Mom’s favourite kueh which I used to buy for her whether she was at home or at the hospital.

Wud like to try this recipe this weekend. But I don’t seem to find Sago flour in our supermarkets. Where did u get the flour from? And is Mung Bean flour same as Hoon Kwe flour?

Blessings
    Priscilla Poh

November 9, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Hi Priscilla, thanks for dropping by. You can try Giants for the sago flour and yes, mung bean flour is hoon kwe flour. Good luck with the recipe and let me know how yours turn out!

November 9, 2011 at 8:36 pm

10. Dear Alan

I tried out ur recipe for lapis sagu yesterday. It was a hugh amount and I made one in 8″ round tin and had extra for a 6″ round tin.

My pastor was the first person to taste the kueh and his comments were kuehs were very good, even better than store bought ones. I was so happy to hear that which he’d made my day!

Because the recipe yielded a big amount, I’ve given some to other church friends and I hope to hv their feedback on Sunday so that I can revert to u further.

In future, if I were to make this kueh again, I’ll hv to scale down recipe to half. Now, I do not need to wonder how did Bengawan Solo make such good lapis sagu. I can do it too!!

This recipe is a keeper. Thank you very much, Alan for ur unselfish sharing.

Blessings
    Priscilla Poh
    Singapore

November 12, 2011 at 7:23 am

Hi Priscilla! Thanks for your feedback after making it. It really made my day! I’m glad that your pastor liked it and hope that your church friends would too.

The original recipe really makes a lot as it is for a 9 x 9 ” square tin. But I’d scaled it down by multiplying by 0.6 for a 7 x 7 ” square tin.

I admire your patience to make two tins at one go! That’s like almost double the amount of time! I only managed one but its definitely worth the effort as my family and friends loved the texture and marveled at how soft and fragrant it was.

Thanks once again for coming back and letting me know how it went. It’s good to know someone else who’s also had good results in this recipe.

November 12, 2011 at 8:38 am

11. Hello Alan

The feedbacks from various church friends are the lapis was generally OK. The nice pandan and coconut smell was there. However, they think was a little sticky. They said they wanted to peel the kueh sheet by sheet to enjoy slowly but due to the stickiness, the peeling not that pleasant to play with. Elderly who have felt if kueh was not so sticky, it would go down better with their denture. All of them felt that texture of kueh was soft.

Perhaps, next time I will try the recipe which uses only rice flour and sago flour. I think because ur recipes consists of large amount of tapioca flour coupled with the small amount of sago flour, the finished texture was way a little sticky and chewy.

Personally, I think it’s was a little sticky too.

Thank you one more time for the recipe.

Blessings
    Priscilla Poh
    Singapore

November 13, 2011 at 7:43 pm

ah, i see i see. The kueh would get softer and softer if you try to steam it again. Not sure if that’s what happened. In any case, the recipe can always be tweaked to your own liking, playing around with proportions etc. Good luck to your future experimentation!

November 13, 2011 at 10:22 pm

12. Good Day alan

U r right Alan, the kueh gets softer after re-steamed. Last night, I took a slice from the fridge and re-steamed it and when I ate it this morning for breakfast, the kueh stayed very soft. I would think re-steaming kueh again made kueh texture even more tasty. Smell was great still.

Generally, the recipe is OK to me although a bit sticky, nonetheless, the slight cheweaness texture does not pose much of a concern to me. It’s acceptable.

I think if kueh make with bigger amount of rice flour might not be that soft. Somehow, Your recipe for Kueh Sagu is good except I wonder should I increase the rice flour a little more and decrease the tapioca flour a little in future when I try again, so that the finished texture will be more balance, meaning more bite. These are all my thoughts only. I am a novice in kueh making and cake baking. I will keep visit ur blog to read up feedback from others so that I can tweak and experiement recipe.

I appreciate ur unselfish effort in giving readers good authentic recipes in ur blog (recipes that are equally good from kuehs bought from Bengawan Solo). I will try your other recipes as well soon. U hv proveded us each recipe easy step by step illustration foreaders to follow and here a big ‘thank you’ for the trouble and effort put in so that we can have 100% homemade Bengawan Solo types of kuehs to enjoy.

Blessings
    Priscilla Poh

November 14, 2011 at 5:51 am

13. Pingback: The Lapis Sagu « Purplerine Legend

14. Kate

Alan,

Felt so sorry not having to reply you sooner. Been too busy with my 3 princesses and have no time to try out your recipe. Will probably get some time when the twins start nursery next year, I hope. Will feedback once I’ve done it :)

November 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm

no worries Kate. :) Have fun with your 3 girls but don’t forget to keep up with the baking and cooking! :)

November 28, 2011 at 10:37 pm

15. Kate

Alan,

I’ve finally tried making this…. wow! it’s lovely… I like the texture ~ Chewy and soft. Even when I put it in the refrigerator, it’s still soft. Thanks so much!

Btw, will be linking your post on Lapis Sagu to my facebook private cooking group. Would that be ok with you?

Kate

April 23, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Sure. Let me know which cooking group is that. Perhaps i could join too. :)

April 23, 2012 at 8:32 pm

• Kate

Thanks! Here’s the link : http://www.facebook.com/groups/Ceramicpots/ I’ve actually got myself 4 sets of HappyCall Pots directly from Korea. Am so in love with them. Now trying out all sorts of food.

Kate

April 23, 2012 at 9:58 pm

hi Kate, I’d just submitted a request to join the group. :)

April 23, 2012 at 11:00 pm

16. antonio b. calceta jr.

hello. looks so yummy, and it looks like christmas too,i’ll try to make one and perfect it before christmas…im sure its a blockbuster.
    thanks for posting.

July 5, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Thanks Antonio! yes the colors are very christmasy isn’t it? I didnt think about that until you’d mentioned!!!

July 12, 2012 at 12:13 am

17. Tan Yan Guan

I like it.

July 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Thanks Yan Guan for liking it and dropping by!

July 12, 2012 at 12:12 am

18. agnesha marlengga putra

glad to find resep lapis Alan,
    I can find all ingregients except the mung bean one. Whats it btw? can i get it? Is there available in indonesia?

Thanks,

July 9, 2012 at 11:00 pm

hi Agnesha, i’m not sure where you can find mung bean in Indonesia. Its actually ground green beans without the greenish membranes on the outside…

July 12, 2012 at 12:12 am

• agnesha marlengga

or maybe replaced by other flour??

July 13, 2012 at 1:56 pm

• agnesha marlengga

i got it! is it tepung kacag hijau? :)

July 13, 2012 at 2:00 pm

yes! that should be it!

July 13, 2012 at 2:29 pm

19. Roza

Dear Alan, I really want to thank you for posting this recipe. I made this kueh lapis yesterday and true enough it tasted superb. Just like those from Begawan Solo. Although the cooking process was tedious, I was really happy with the results. Thanks again for sharing Alan.

Roza

November 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm

thanks for your kind words Roza. I’m glad that you and your family enjoyed the kuih :) Yes it is tedious to make but really worth the effort, right? :)

November 15, 2012 at 4:04 pm

• Roza

Hi Alan,
        I really agreed with you. It’s totally worth the effort. The kueh is not too sweet. Even the texture is perfect. My hubby and kids enjoyed it very much. I really owe you one. By the way Alan, I used a 10″ x 10″ rectangular tray and we finished everything in 2 days. Delicious!
        Can’t thank you enough. Have a nice day ok.

November 21, 2012 at 11:25 pm

20. Josephine

Hi,
    I have tried few times of kuih lapis sagu (but not yr recipe) but it failed.
    IT turned out too hard. There are lots of bubble in the batter. May I know what’s wrong w the batter? I used 200g sago flour + 100g rice flour. The owner of the recipe said that the result will be soft and QQ texture ( i saw fr the pic is like yr kuih lapis).

Would appreciate if you could enlighten me.
    Thanks
    Josephine

July 18, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Hi Josephine, it is very difficult to troubleshoot your recipe unless I know the details of the ingredients, especially the wet to dry ingredients ratio. At first sight, the amount of sago flour you’d used seems to be on the high side. Using for kueh lapis beras, the main ingredient should be either tapioca flour or rice flour, and not sago flour. Sago flour and green pea flour are just added for their chewy textures generally speaking.

July 18, 2013 at 11:11 pm

21. Josephine Pang

Hi Alan,
    Thank you for yr reply.
    I used the recipe in the following blog:

July 19, 2013 at 8:07 pm

22. Josephine Pang

I saw yr kuih is exactly like bengawan solo texture. How u do tat?
    Did u put alkaline water to make it QQ and bouncing?

July 19, 2013 at 8:21 pm

23. Josephine Pang

Btw, i used kara or ayam brand coconut milk (those in boxes).
    Do u think without using freshly squeeze coconut milk will affect the texture of the kuih???

July 19, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Hi Josephine, sorry for the late reply. If you can using canned or packaged coconut cream in those tetrapak like Cara or Ayam brand, they tend to be much thicker than coconut milk. So I would actually recommend that you thin it down with water slightly to get the consistency of coconut milk. I saw the recipe in the link you had listed. The kueh actually looks quite good. Perhaps you would like to try it again. Otherwise, you can try the recipe I have provided in my blogpost above. Tried and tested :)

July 29, 2013 at 11:57 am

• Josephine Pang

Hi Alan,
        thank u for yr reply.
        I noticed tat i used the wrong coconut milk. I used kara coconut cream instead of coconut milk!!!! I didn’t read the box properly . There r two types. Coconut cream and coconut milk. I shd have use milk not cream!!!
        Btw , i just done kuih lapis using yr recipe scale down to 0.6.
        Will update u if successful. hehehe

July 29, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Hi Josephine, are you from Singapore? You can get Heng Guan Pasteurised Coconut Milk from NTUC for any kueh. Very convenient to use.

July 29, 2013 at 2:08 pm

• Josephine Pang

Hi Alan,
        Yes yes im fr sg. I buy all box coconut fr ntuc. I know this heng guan coconut milk too. Used to buy it but i find the taste a bit funny le… like not fresh like tat. Is it suppose to b like tat???
        Today i used ayam TRIM coconut milk which is reduced fat. Coz the girl fr the link told me coconut cream too thick n the fat will affect the texture. So i try the TRIM.

July 29, 2013 at 3:02 pm

24. Pingback: Onde Onde | travellingfoodies

25. Pingback: Kuih Kosui | travellingfoodies

26. Josephine

Hi Alan,
    My kuih lapis had successful!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for your recipe!!! I’m sooooo happy. :)
    It has the bengawan solo texture. QQ, chewy and springy texture. My family and friends said very nice!!!

ok. I will use Heng Guan coconut milk to make kuih lapis next time.

July 30, 2013 at 12:32 pm

thanks for trying the recipe. :) Yeah I like the texture and taste as well because it has the texture which reminds me of Bengawan Solo’s version. :)

July 30, 2013 at 1:08 pm

• Josephine

hahaha…. majority of ppls like 9 layers kuih!!! These includes kids (my kids like it very much). Before I try your recipe, whenever i see 9 layers kuih I’m very sad. hahaha…

btw, is there a method to make it more fragrant???

July 30, 2013 at 1:14 pm

it should already be very fragrant if you use the right ingredients, especially pandan and coconut milk. These are the two ingredients which the aroma is derived from. :)

July 30, 2013 at 2:54 pm

• Josephine Pang

Hi Alan,
        Alright. Will definitely try using heng guan coconut milk next time.
        Thanks.

July 30, 2013 at 6:15 pm

27. Josephine

Hi Alan,
    Sorry to disturbed you again.
    Did you try Kuih Serikaya or Kuih Salat before?
    My Kuih Serikaya is wavy on top… it is not a smooth and flat surface.

August 3, 2013 at 12:38 pm

yeah i have… that’s a staple piece for anyone who’s dabbling with nyonya/malay kuehs. Actually, I don’t think it should have a smooth and flat surface if the kaya layer is really custardy, smooth and soft. When I see a piece which is very smooth and neat, I would think that too much flour was added to the recipe. I will post my kuih salat soon. :)

August 3, 2013 at 11:58 pm

• Josephine Pang

Can i show u my kuih serikaya?
        I have took the pic.

August 4, 2013 at 9:24 am

• Josephine Pang

Hi Alan,
        Do u think i can use all the 720ml using fresh coconut milk? Will it affect the texture??

August 4, 2013 at 8:45 pm

the colours would not be as bright as they will be “washed” out by white base colour of the coconut milk. Have fun experimenting! :)

August 4, 2013 at 11:05 pm