Durian Puffs Memoirs 回忆中的榴梿泡芙

Durain Puffs

I remember during our initial dating days, J and I used to visit the now dysfunct Hotel Pheonix to queue for their durian cream puffs. Not that they were particularly ” to die for” but because they were cheap! The takeaway counter offered a 50% discount to all the foodstuff at 6 pm and very often there would be a queue outside the counter that proliferated all the way to the hotel lobby! Apart from durian puffs, there were whole cakes, curry puffs, chicken pies, fried chicken wings, fried fishballs, small cakes and tarts etc. Quite a good selection really but we only want out durian cream puffs! We would reach there early, i.e. 5+ pm and if there’s no queue we would walk over to  Specialist Centre to do some window shopping at John Little or Grammophone. This was sometimes a miscalculation as we would return to find a queue already starting to form! Short but fatal the queue might seem, as it often meant we didn’t get to buy the stuff we’d hoped we would. And durian cream puffs were one of those near the top of our list! Very soon, we picked up the “tricks of the trade” from the “aunties”, one goes to do some window-shopping/toilet while the other stood in the queue. On some occasions we were the first in the queue, taking time to make deliberate decisions on what to purchase. Once, we snapped up all the durian cream puffs (J’s parents liked them too!), much to the dismay of the disgruntled aunties behind us. Revenge is sweet…wahaha… oops!

Durain Puffs

I had quite a bit of pâte à choux left from baking the Paris-brest. So I baked some profiteroles! simple piping work likening the macaron technique, just that these look more stout!

Durain Puffs

Nice golden hue fresh out of the oven. Their crust are still crisp and hard. Given a day, they turn kinda soft. Still quite delicious, but just a different texture.

Durain Puffs

There’re durians in the fridge that my mum bought. How timely! It’s a popular variety called 山猫王. Very creamy and sweet with a hint of bitterness. Nice! It’s only befitting that they should be used to make durian puffs!

Durain Puffs

The choux puffs are sliced open (read: decaptitate!) about 1/3 from the top using a serrated bread knife. Using my thumb,  I gently press down the soft core  to create a larger pocket for the cream filling. More the merrier!

Durain Puffs

The filling is a very simple custard cream filling, minus half the sugar and vanilla pod, and replaced with fresh durian pulp. The concoction is mixed together and left in the fridge for flavours to mature for a couple of hours, and then piped into each puff.

Durain Puffs

These didn’t last very long, I tell you. Only two small pieces in the fridge for me after I came back from work. :( And my mum had the cheek to tell me that they are specially “reserved for me”! But but but… but I made them! argh! But that means I get to make them again!

Recipe for choux pastry can be found on the “Paris-Brest with a Twist!” blog page.

Durian Custard Cream filling

250 ml milk

60g (about 3) egg yolk

75g granulated sugar

25g cake flour

durian pulp/puree

Instructions

heat milk and sugar  in a saucepan/milk pot

whisk egg yolks and cake flour in a large bowl until roughly incorporated

when bubbles begin to form on the sides of the pot, pour the milk very slowly into the bowl of egg yolk-flour mixture and mix thoroughly

return the bowl contents back into the pot andcontinue to whisk at a very low heat

turn off the flame and take the pot off the stove when the cream just begins to thicken.

continue to whisk until a thicken and creamy consistency.

cover the cream with cling film on the surface and refrigerate to cool for a few hours.

revive the filling by whisking it slightly after taking it out of the fridge

pipe the choux shells with the desired amount of filling.

Voila!

Durain Puffs

Simple but indulging pleasures during our undergrad days, and I guess that’s the trigger to feed ever growing stomachs for sweet stuff. Now that Hotel Pheonix and Specialist Centre had walked hand-in-hand down the aisle of history, where else can we turn to for good durian puffs?

1. I am eying the durian and not the puffs ha ha.. I bet they taste so wonderful. Light and creamy at the same time. Thanks for sharing.

February 25, 2011 at 11:05 pm

2. This is delicious! Thanks for sharing!

February 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm

3. OMG! it look so delicious! i love durian puffs! (: psst, you mean 猫山王 durian?

February 26, 2011 at 12:42 am

4. Mmm, this is really yummylicious! alan, can i ask reg cooking the filling, i’m not too sure if i missed that, when do we put in the durian puree? maybe i would like to try that someday if i can..

February 26, 2011 at 12:43 am

5. firebirdie

Getrude: the durians are very creamy indeed! love the bitter-sweet taste combi as well :)

Wen: my pleasure!

Jasmine: oh dear, honestly, I just wrote what’s written on the packaging! But I think you are right! 猫山王 it is then!

Lena: durian puree can be added when the custard cream has cooled down sufficiently. The heat might affect the taste otherwise! The higher the durian to cream ratio the more sedap it tastes!

February 26, 2011 at 1:55 am

6. Nicely done Alan! *thumbs up* ;)

February 26, 2011 at 10:44 am

7. 我很喜欢它,外面卖的都很贵:$

February 26, 2011 at 12:14 pm

8. You really did a great job with this. I haven’t had durian since we were in Cambodia. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

February 26, 2011 at 3:03 pm

9. Min

I love durian puffs, yours are so temping, saliva dropping already :)

February 26, 2011 at 9:22 pm

10. firebirdie

鲸鱼:所以这是自己动手做的最佳理由噜!

Mary: Thanks for dropping by! The cambodian varieties should resemble those in Thailand which are commonly know as “golden pillow durians (金枕头). They tend to be bigger with thicker pulp but fare less in the aromatics and textures vis-a-vis the Malaysian varieties!

Is it easy to find durian at from you are now?

Min: I love durian puffs too! But difficult to find good ones around without having to pay a hefty price for them. So the best is to make our own! Try it one day and I’m sure you would be well-rewarded. :)

February 26, 2011 at 9:54 pm

11. Wow! How beautiful golden color! Those puffs are perfect! Love your pics, everything look soo yummy!

February 27, 2011 at 10:11 am

12. Von

These looks delicious! It’s not hard to see why they were all gone :) haha…I love how just buying durian puffs can turn into such an adventure!

February 27, 2011 at 3:16 pm

13. These puffs are lovely!!

February 27, 2011 at 7:52 pm

14. firebirdie

Hi Talita! Thanks for visiting! Your website is fabulous as well. Some of your recipes are so intriguing, like the guava paste. Can’t wait to try it!

Von: thanks for visiting! yes its quite “soap operatish” if you ask me. But all in good fun!

Ah Tze: Thanks for the compliments! Will try your mango souffle recipe soon!

February 27, 2011 at 10:57 pm

15. OMG! this look so inviting! I must try this, I love during puff. Alan, thanks for sharing.

February 27, 2011 at 11:15 pm

16. firebirdie

veronica! yes please try it and let me know if you like it. I certainly did! I’m pretty sure you can get some really creamy and sedap durians from where you are. :)

February 28, 2011 at 12:50 am